One of the great scenic painters of his time, George Gibson headed the scenic department at M.G.M. Studios for thirty-five years. A lover of nature and avid landscape painter, he often worked directly from location. A prolific painter, especially during his retirement years, Mr. Gibson was creating beautiful watercolors well into his nineties.
Being nominated as an associate of the National Academy of Design is only one of the many honors bestowed upon this native of Scotland. He was past president of the California National Watercolor Society, now known as the National Watercolor Society, and as an active member of the American Watercolor Society, also known now as the National Watercolor Society. In 1991 he was awarded Lifetime Achievement in the Arts for Special Contribution to The Art of California by the Historical Collections Council of the Laguna Art Museum. In 2000, he received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Watercolor Society.
His works are in the collections of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Santa Barbara Museum of Art, Litton Industries, the Society of Motion Picture Art Directors, the United States Navy, the Laguna Art Museum, and numerous others. He received over 50 awards for his painting since 1946. His artwork has been exhibited in galleries, both in this country and abroad and graces many important public and private collections.
The location of this painting is on Toro Creek Road near Morro Bay, California. George Gibson gave this painting to his wife on their 50th wedding anniversary. The image was published in Western Art Digest, May-June 1986, pg. 54.
This painting was purchased for the San Luis Obispo Museum of Art’s permanent collection by Libbie Agran and Barbara Renshaw in April 2015.