The San Luis Obispo Museum of Art is the heart of the California Central Coast art community and a vital link to the cultural life of the region. Its downtown location in the cultural district, and its free admission, make it accessible for all.
SLOMA is located in downtown San Luis Obispo on the west end of Mission Plaza, at the heart of the city’s cultural corridor. Within the Museum are three gallery spaces. The Gray Wing gallery is the largest space with 190 linear feet, 10-foot high ceilings, four moveable walls, polished cement floors and two entrances. The First Gallery is 49 or 64-linear feet (depending on usage), 8-foot ceilings, some natural light and carpeting. The McMeen Gallery is 64-linear feet with 8-foot ceilings, and carpeted floors.
Emphasizing exhibitions by contemporary California artists, the Museum also offers youth and adult art classes, lectures, film nights, trips, concerts and art events. No matter who you are or what you do – whether you’re a recent graduate or a grandparent, a visitor or lifelong resident, a student or business owner, a mom or a dad, an accomplished artist or a beginner – the San Luis Obispo Museum of Art has something for you.
To provide and promote diverse visual arts experiences for people of all ages and backgrounds through exhibition, education, creation and collaboration; and preserve the Museum’s permanent collection as an artistic legacy of the California Central Coast.
Rent Our Space
As many businesses, organizations and families have discovered, the San Luis Obispo Museum of Art is the perfect place to host a company holiday party, special anniversary or birthday, and even a wedding reception. Located in the heart of downtown adjacent to the historic Mission Plaza and creekside setting, the Museum’s galleries provide a unique – and unforgettable – art-filled setting for your private events, activities or celebrations. The Museum also offers Children’s Birthday Parties that include a private tour and a creative art project with your two-hour rental of the Nybak Wing.
Appraisals and Authentication
The San Luis Obispo Museum of Art does not provide appraisal, authentication, or conservation/restoration services. Below is a select list of references that may be helpful if you are in need of these services.
- The American Society of Appraisers, (800) 272‐8258, www.appraisers.org.
- The International Society of Appraisers, (312) 981‐6778, www.isa‐appraisers.org
- Bonhams & Butterfields, (323) 850‐7500, www.butterfields.com.
- Christie’s, (310) 385‐2600, www.christies.com.
- Sotheby’s, (310) 274‐0340, www.sothebys.com.
- Art Dealers Association of America, (212) 940‐8590, www.artdealers.org.
- For painting conservation: Balboa Art Conservation Center, (619) 236‐9702, www.bacc.org.
- For textile conservation: Conservators of Fine Fabrics, (562)697‐7763, www.coff.com.
- American Institute for Conservation, (202) 452‐9545, culturalheritage.org.
Banner image credit Brittany App