Gladys Gray, grew up in Truckee, California, where she was a pupil of Rex Brandt and a long-time resident of Lake Tahoe. She and her husband moved to San Luis Obispo in 1951. She was a prolific artist who worked each day from 9 am to 3 pm in her studio. This painting is a mixed media of colored tissues and dyes. She worked on the series that includes this painting during the 1970s.
In 1977, she helped form the Central Coast Watercolor Society. Gladys Gray was a member of the National Watercolor Society.
Both she and her husband were patrons of the San Luis Obispo Art Center (now the Museum of Art), and donated generously to construction and maintenance of the Gray Wing—named in their honor.
Mr. Arne Nybak, the curator at that time, requested the artist to donate this painting to the permanent collection.